What do we try to loose here? The vices we have accumulated and our sinful habits. They are all summed up as the seven capital, deadly or cardinal sins. Then, we try to gain their corresponding virtues.
The seven deadly sins can be defined as dispositions towards sin and separation from God. For example Lust results in adultery, fornication, homosexuality, lesbianism, bestiality, rape, pornography and any other sexual sin.
Greed results to stealing, corruption, embezzlement etc. so, the vices are giving rise to other sins. The vices are the excess or toxic weight, cholesterol, fats etc. that makes us sickly and unhealthy. The virtues are the skills and stamina we acquire that keeps us healthy and fit. So, let’s get on with it.
SINS OF LUST
ACTS OF CHASTITY
SCRIPTURES ON LUST AND CHARITY
⚫ ROM. 1 :27 – 28
⚫ 1 COR 6 : 15 – 16
⚫ 1 COR. 7 : 1 – 2
⚫ MATT. 5 : 28
⚫ 1 COR 6 : 18
⚫ I THESS 4 : 3 – 5
⚫ HEB 13 : 4
⚫ PROV. 6 : 32
⚫ GEN. 39 : 10
⚫ JOB 31 :1
HOW TO CARRY OUT LEAP(THE PLAN)
- Identify one or two of the vices you have. Identify also their corresponding virtues.
- Study them, read the suggested scriptures and meditate on them.
- Decide what particular habits or vices you will counter with particular act of virtues. For example, if you are keeping too many clothes, that is the sin of greed, decide to give out as many as possible within this Lenten period, which is the virtue of charity.
- Spend at least 30 minutes of prayer each day for grace to achieve this mission.
- Decide a day for at least 30 minutes of midnight prayer in the week.
- Keep a diary or journal to record your successes and failures.
- Remember that practice makes perfect. Do this exercise for the remaining part of lent and repeat it once in a while as the year runs. By the grace of God you will witness a Leap in your life in the name of Jesus Christ.
SUGGESTED DEVOTIONAL PRAYERS FOR LEAP:
- The rosary
- Stations of the cross
- Divine mercy chaplet/prayers
- Novenas of your choice
- Visit to the blessed sacrament